Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Disney World Full Marathon 2014

Deciding where to begin talking about this race is challenging. In fact, everything about this race was a challenge. I signed up for the Disney World Marathon back in July at the Peachtree Road Race Expo because they were giving away "free" adorable run Disney bags away with a race registration. I know, you would think I would have learned my lesson about this. Throughout the summer I ran consistently between 3-7 mile runs around my neighborhood and in the park. School started and I continued to run but my mileage was reduced. Then basketball season started. I conditioned with the girls to begin with but we only ran a mile or so a day. Then Chris and I bought a house and two months just blurred and disappeared. Once basketball was in full swing I was at practice until six at the earliest and it was dark when I got home and there are no sidewalks where we live now. The ten pounds that I had gained wasn't going to help any either. I know. Enough with the excuse wagon. The marathon date grew closer and closer. Several times I broke down and cried because I was so disappointed in myself and my lack of preparation. I even decided several times that I just wouldn't do it. A week before the race I did some math and decided that I could finish the race. I had seven hours after all. So I made the hotel reservations and Chris and I drove to Orlando for the weekend.

Once in Orlando we hit up the expo. As we hiked to the entrance I judged the people around me trying to convince myself that if they could do it, I could too. I quickly got my race bib and shirt. There were so many people in the convention center that Chris and I decided to check into the hotel. After getting our stuff settled in we decided to walk around a park for a few hours. We chose Magic Kingdom. We pulled into Magic Kingdom around three and parked in the very back of the lot. Chris suggested we run a little to the entrance. I was out of breathe after a hundred yards or so. I tried not to think about it. Chris and I enjoyed a lovely afternoon in the park. As the sun started to set we began to make our way to the exit. As we pushed our way through the hordes of stroller people a torrential down pour began. We ducked into a shop and I began to panic. I was wearing the running shoes that I planned to wear in the race tomorrow. I could not afford to get my race shoes soaked. Chris tried to get me to purchase a fifteen dollar pair of flip flops but I couldn't bring myself to do that (since their is a good chance they would have rubbed a detrimental blister). So we just sprinted and weaved to the exit along with every other person at Disney. By the time we made it to the car it was 10:00PM. I should've already been asleep. I had not eaten. Chris quickly stopped and got me a sandwich and fruit. As soon as we walked into the hotel room I crashed.

The alarm set for 3:35AM that I so fondly named "suckfest" seemed to go off as soon as I fell asleep. I got up, got dressed, and rubbed glide all over my problem areas. I spent a few minutes debating whether or not I would bring my phone. I decided to bring it because I wanted photos and I wanted to just enjoy the experience. I got on the shuttle bus at 4:00AM. I was one of the last people on so I had to stand. Great. The bus ride took about 30 minutes. Once we arrived in the Epcoot parking lot there were lights and tons of staff greeting us. We went through strict security and were then funneled trough bag check. Once on the other side we had to walk, no hike to the start line. The start line was about 25-30 minutes away from where we checked bags. Once I got to the start line, I visited the potty. I always have to pee before athletic events. In line I met a woman who had run every Disney Marathon since the race started 21 years ago. I got into my corral at 5:20, 10 minutes before the race started. I had almost been on my feet for an hour and a half. I sat down and went through some stretching. Someone welcomed us, someone else sang the national anthem, and then a huge fireworks display signaled the start. The fireworks then continued for the release of each corral.

I crossed the start line very apprehensively. I knew it was going to be a rough day. It was horrible to know that I had the full 26.2 miles ahead of me. The first three miles happened fast. I was keeping a good pace, taking liquids, and enjoying the dark run. Then we came to the parking lot of Magic Kingdom. I was pretty excited about running through the castle so mile 5 also came and went. There were tons of people cheering right before we entered MK. I always get emotional when strangers cheer for me. I have no clue why. But it is so nice. I got a little choked up and than panicked a little because I couldn't breathe. The run through MK was...magical. The view was awesome. The sun was just rising and the castle was lit up. I tried to get someone to take my picture but he couldn't work my phone. Oh well. Mile 6 was complete upon exiting MK.

The next 6 miles ran through parking lots and roads that connect the parks. There was some form of entertainment every half mile or so. The scenery was very bland and I found it hard to be confident. I was still running a consistent pace. Mile 8 I felt invincible. We ran a lap around the race track. Mile 12 I wanted to quit. I day dreamed about there being an option for a half marathon. I told myself if I got a medal I could quit at mile 13.1. There was no medal. But there was animal kingdom. We ran around the big lake past Mount Everest which was distracting. But the stint in AK lasted less than a mile and before I knew it I was in another parking lot. There was comfort in knowing when I stepped on the tracker at the half way point that Chris and my mom would know I was doing okay. It was a brief connection to them and that pushed me some. I don't remember anything about mile 14 or 15.

At mile 16 we could see runners coming toward us. I assumed there was some sort of down and back and that they were a mile or so ahead of us. I was mistaken. We ran a straight stretch for about a mile and then entered the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. We ran around a track, a baseball field, a soccer field. It was starting to get hot and I was starting to get tired. My back ached. My knees throbbed. Around mile 18 I could feel a blister forming. By mile 19 I felt that blister pop. We continued back down the straight stretch. I saw all the people that were 3 miles behind me. I felt a mixture of feelings. I felt bad that they were so far behind but I was also relieved I wasn't in their position. Mile 20 I felt a sharp pain in my shin like someone kicked me. I tried to ignore it. I stopped and stretched. I took Tylenol. I continued to push. Mile 21 was another boring straight stretch. I was in so much pain. I allowed myself to walk a lot. I don't remember mile 22. Mile 23 was spent in MGM which was really cool. I ran the whole time taking in the sites. I was also impressed that the park was actually open to people. There were tons of annoyed tourists gawking at us. I even got to use a real restroom. Mile 24 and 25 ran along side water which was refreshing.

Finally we entered Epcot. I wanted so bad to run. I would try but my body was screaming at me by this point. I was starting to worry that my toenails had fallen off. Every time I came to race photographer I tried to run but couldn't. I didn't care about the race photos. I didn't care about my time. I wanted my medal and I wanted Chris. I wanted to go home. I kept trying to run. People were cheering. Their was a choir. Finally the Epcot ball came into view. I ran past it and into the parking lot where I finished the race. It was unceremonious. You walked a little way and got your medal and space blanket. I put ice on my knees and shin and sat. I called Chris and realized I would have to get myself to the hotel without him. I wanted to cry. I forced myself to walk to the bus loading area. I found my bus and waited for about 45 minutes. Finally I was reunited with Chris and loaded into the back of the car. No shower. I just stripped in the backseat. It was then that I realized my shin injury was far more serious. It ended up being tendinitis. Chris drove me all the way home where I finally showered and took photos with my race bling.

Overall the race was awesome. I came in 12,514 out of 19,225 and my time was 5:55 (shameful I know). There were several thousand people that did not finish. I would love to be more prepared and enjoy it. Once again I am amazed at what the human body can do. I could have used any of my numerous excuses. I ran a marathon with no training. My only consequences were two weeks in a boot and some blisters. Worth it? Yes!

New goal: Sub 2 hour Half Marathon! Stay tuned!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment